- Internal Controls - Seatbelt
- Left Turns - angle the car, turn with the road
- Before braking / slowing down know what is behind you. Always check your centre mirror.
- Narrow Roads - Keep Left
- Gap Selection - Look ahead and be ready before the last vehicle passes.
- Roundabouts - Angle the car
- Moving Off the Road - Indicate, check your centre mirror (behind you) and shoulder check
- Lane Changing / Merging - Indicate, check your centre mirror (behind you) and shoulder check
- Pedestrians Crossing - Don’t stop for no reason, check both sides. Look outward
- Speed Bumps - Roll over, aim for 20km don’t brake suddenly and know if there is a vehicle behind you.
- Focus on Indicting, Mirror Usage and Blind Spot/Shoulder Checks
- Don’t speed up, when moving off the road. Let the car roll
- Know what is next to you, when moving around parked cars. Blind Spot Checks.
- Avoid bottle necks - react earlier be slow and roll through
- Parallel Parking - Know what is behind you / Recheck the right side / using the space around you / aim to be under 30cm from the curb.
- U-Turn - Indicate right, check you right side and keep left.
- Right Turn - Aim for 20km (Don’t be too slow)
- Hand Position - Move your hands, don’t twist when turning.
- Shoulder Checks - when moving around parked cars check you blind spot. If all 4 wheels move over the centre line Indicated.
- Stop Signs - Stop pause and then move off
- Searching - Move your chin when looking around.
- Turning - Don’t look while turning. Check before turning.
- Roundabout - Angle the car and be ready before.
- Hazards - Look outwards 12 seconds
- Narrow Roads - Indicate when moving around parked cars
- Blind Corners / Sharp Turns - keep left to avoid oncoming cars
- Mirror Usage - Check every 10-15 seconds // Know what is behind you
- Speed Control - School Zone 40km - During school pickup / drop-off times, when 40km is on or when school kids are present.
- Large Trucks - keep your distance, react to other vehicles
- Motorways Onramp - Nothing sudden and make a small 2 degree turn, Keep indicating till you are fully in the other lane
- Lane Change - Indicate, mirror and check blind spot.
- Indicate when you need to change lanes or when turning. Don’t keep your hands on the indicators for no reason.
- Greenlight / All Intersection - Check both sides
- Don’t be to close to vehicles infront. Keep a safe following distance and stopping distance. Stay back so you can see the road marking.
- Lane Change Uphill - don’t brake going uphill
Key Points from simulated test
Key Points from Simulated Restricted Test
Common Errors for October 2017 running through Mt Wellington / Sylvia Park VTNZ Restricted and Full and Overseas Conversion Driving Test. From start to finish all tested overlapped.
Leaving the Carpark:
U-Turn / 3 Point Turns:
Intersections (Ped-X, Traffic Lights, Roundabout and Controlled Cross Roads)
Dual Lane Roundabout - Right and Left Turn
Turn Right and Left:
Moving on and off:
Giveway Left Turn at Traffic Lights:
Angle the car to the left and go a bit wide to make a safe turn in the left lane
Driving Test Tips and Advice
Learn from what other have done wrong and try not to repeat them.